Some Mozilla spaces have Espresso machines.
How to make espresso
How to clean the espresso machine
- How to clean the espresso machine video on Air Mozilla
Terminology and diagram
See this page for diagrams and the involved terminology.
General notes about making good espresso
- Purge the group heads (i.e. run an empty shot) before and after pulling a shot for a few seconds. This keeps oils from hardening on the mesh, which in turn means consistently better coffee and less effort to clean up.
- Likewise purging and wiping the steam wands clean after steaming milk, as a show of respect and kindness towards your co-workers and tools.
- Use the deeper baskets in the portafilters as they will keep the oils from getting into the machine. They're correctly installed in Toronto's machine; other MozSpaces are encouraged to follow suit. If you're not in the habit of swapping these out, just go with what's in front of you.
- There are specific left and right portafilters; mixing them up means they won't seal properly. Tag them in your location, if they haven't already been.
- With the deeper portafilters there's some space between the puck and the mesh. This is desirable, but something to be aware of when you're pulling the portafilter out now so you don't splash yourself with boiling coffee.
- Generally, be gentle with the machine.
- The hot water tap is good for heating up your cup, but is continually reboiled, so not so good for drinking. If you're making an americano, use a different water heater for this.
- It's important to purge the group heads before and after pulling a shot for a few seconds. This keeps oils from hardening on the mesh, which in turn means consistently better coffee and less effort to clean it up. Likewise the steam wands. I may have mentioned this twice because it's important, but it's important.
- Clean the steaming wand every time after steaming milk using a damp towel. The milk residue comes off most easily if you clean the want right after you're done steaming.
- Clean and backflush (i.e. reverse a shot into the machine using the impermeable basket) the machine daily with water, and twice a week with backflush detergent (see mentioned video in previous section)
How to adjust the grinder (San Francisco)
- Start by cleaning and backflushing the machine, then clean out the portafilters with hot water and an abrasive. This will make your problems with grind adjustment seem like no big deal.
How to adjust the grinder (Toronto)