Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
- 1 NOTICE
- 2 Actions from Last Week
- 3 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- 4 Feedback Summary
- 5 UX & User Research
- 6 Market Insights
- 7 Press & Public Reaction
- 8 Questions, Comments, FYI
- 9 Actions this week
- OMG DIAL IN CHANGING NEXT WEEK
Actions from Last Week
- Asa to post about the product team's view of 64-bit support and update the group here
- Let's pull this. It's dependent on data I don't yet have. I'll post when I have the plug-in data
- Cheng to file bug on os X lion intercepting old navigation gestures
- Already done bug 674610
- Cheng/Aakash/Axel to figure out locale-specific input scrubbing
- Planning to have a feedback loop with localization leads on every new release. Feedback triage teams will coalesce those locale-specific reports the week after the release and add to the feedback summaries as well as deliver on any take-aways.
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
Release (3.6, 5.0)
- 3.6.20 is going to build today, slightly behind schedule but it shouldn't impact final ship
- We're not doing anything about Google Toolbar for this release FYI
Hoping to go to Firefox 6 final builds ASAP.
- Tipped over 100k Aurora users yesterday!
- There's been an awesome amount of bug fixing this last week -- over 300 resolved fixed bugs. Truly awesome.
- Frank's awesome implement animation for tab reordering has landed on m-c. This also dramatically improved the experience of tearing off a tab to make it a window.
- Session Restore losing nearly all tabs should be fixed.
- Memshrink continues to kill it. Read more at http://blog.mozilla.com/nnethercote/2011/08/03/memshrink-progress-week-7/
- Switched NDKr5, got performance
- Working on:
- Tablet UI
- Text selection in web content
- WebApp support
- AMO integration is going well, add-ons should be able to be pushed to AMO by early next week. (on master)
- More advanced search facets are in-flight and on-track
- We will freeze 0.9.9 this Friday and launch next Wednesday
- We realized a 10x average build speed improvement on the Builder last week:
- first merge from development branch to stabilization branch took place yesterday, Tuesday, August 2
- first stabilization build spun and distributed yesterday, Tuesday, August 2 (announcement)
- next stabilization build on schedule for next Tuesday, August 9 (and at least weekly thereafter until release)
- release remains on schedule for Tuesday, September 13
- Nothing new -> No ETA just yet; IT's having resource constraints that are limiting the amount of coverage for projects across the board.
- Trudged through all blocking requirements for Tell Us More from last week! BMO team is moving on to technical details planning with the new Bugzilla extension.
- Our little experimental add-on, Alert the Developer, is now fully reviewed and available. Please try it out and offer feedback via the comments section in the blog post or on IRC at #input !
- Michael Kurze is back as an intern for the next month and is going to be leading the effort with a few other Metrics Engineers to get Grouperfish to a 1.0.
- Extensions (Mainly Google Toolbar, IDM)
- YouTube downloader extension causes JS errors, users need to update. (500+)
- No support for OSX Lion gestures. (1000+)
- App-Tabs aren't saving
- Gmail error: Typeerror:COLLAPSIBLE SIDEBOXES. centre is undefined
- Sync issues after migrating to FF 5: Both in SUMO and on Input multiple users are complaining that after the last upgrade Sync is reporting server issues. Seems around Firefox 5. Resetting the data seems to solve the problem.
- Extensions, extensions, extensions:
- AV extensions
- http://input.mozilla.com/en-US/?product=firefox&version=6.0&date_start=2011-07-26&sentiment=sad&q=add-on or http://input.mozilla.com/en-US/?product=firefox&version=6.0&date_start=2011-07-26&sentiment=sad&q=addon or http://input.mozilla.com/en-US/?product=firefox&version=6.0&date_start=2011-07-26&sentiment=sad&q=extension
- "Suddenly forced to use Bing" -- Related to a user study
- We broke Google "search the web" -- related to user study and Omnibar extension
- Crash (185)... about the last level as last week (maybe a dropoff in hang/not-responding as of Sunday but hard to say)
- About 70% less feedback (negative) over the last week relative to previous week.
|Feature Name||Release Channel||Feedback|
|Do Not Track||Beta|
|Better First Run Discoverability||Aurora||
|IndexedDB Local Storage||Aurora||
|Better Form Assistant Integration with Android||Aurora||
|Visual Refresh for Gingerbread||Aurora|
- The difference in praise for 5.0 since the release just keeps on increasing!
|Clustered Praise Found||Release Channel|
|Clustered Issues Found||Release Channel||Bug Id|
General Negative Mobile Insights
Beta (126 total negative posts on input this week)
- 7.1% of input sad face posts say 'too slow'
- 5.5% of input sad face posts say 'too hard to use'
Beta (21 total negative review comments on android market this week)
- 43% of android market negative comments say 'too slow'
- 19% of android market negative comments say 'too hard to use'
UX & User Research
- Google Chrome becomes UK's second most popular browser, according to Statscounter and reported by The Guardian. "Three years after launch, Chrome last month captured 22% of UK users and marginally overtook Mozilla's Firefox browser, according to the web metrics firm Statcounter. Microsoft's Internet Explorer is losing market share to Chrome but remains the most popular browser for UK users with 45% – although it has a head start by being pre-installed on almost all computers sold in Britain. Apple's Safari is UK number four, with a 9% share. Google's rise in the browser market is in part down to nationwide advertising – Chrome is the first Google product advertised on British TV – but is largely attributed to its speed."
- According to Net Applications, here are the browser market share movements between June 2011 and July 2011, reported by Ars Tehnica:
- Internet Explorer is down 0.87 points to 52.81%
- Firefox is down 0.19 points, to 21.48%
- Chroma gained 0.34 points to 13.45%
- Safari gained 0.57 points, to 8.05%
- Opera fell by 0.08 points to 1.65%
- "The mix of operating systems used on the Web reached a landmark during July. Windows XP, the operating system that was first released a decade ago this month, dipped below a 50 percent share. After years at the top, Microsoft's ancient operating system is now used by 49.84 percent of Web users. It's still the most widely used operating system, but Windows 7 is gaining fast, and at current rates, by next August Windows 7 will have passed its ancient predecessor." - Ars Tehnica
Summary below, full update here and in your inbox. Next update in 2 weeks, due to summer holidays.
- Dolphin HD was updated to v6.1 beta and voted No.2 on CNET's Top 100 Android apps
- In Q2, smartphone sales experienced 62% year-over-year growth and a re-shuffle of the top OEM positions due to Nokia's decline from the first place to third
- Approx. half of smartphones sold in Q2 run Android and their top manufacturers are Samsung (34%), HTC (23%) and Sony Ericsson (11%).
- Alibaba, a Chinese ecommerce giant, released its own mobile OS, which runs Android and Web-based apps
- Phone Gap 1.0 was released and Nvidia announced tablets featuring its Kal-El quad-core CPUs to be available this fall
Press & Public Reaction
- Mozilla Designer's Mockups Give A Glimpse At The Future Of Firefox
- Rebooting Mozilla: Think Firefox, Just Bigger
- Preview And Images: The Next Firefox UI
- Mozilla unveils new Firefox interface for Firefox 9 and beyond
- Mozilla reveals possible new Firefox UI direction
- We are working on ad campaigns and SEM to continue to grow users in Firefox Aurora.
- In addition, we also continue to optimize pages in moz.com to continue to promote Firefox Aurora
- The campaign is targeted to launch with the Sept merge date. We will be rolling out the SEM plans between now and the Sept. merge.
Firefox Aurora now in /Channel page: www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/channel/
- Mobile Optimized Channel Page: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/m/firefox/channel/
- We tweeted it in in MozMobile. Please retweet and help us get more users in Firefox Aurora mobile
- Announced in the community call today
- About:Home Snippets launching this week
Updating sites for EOL Maemo
Optimizing Android Market description to improve SEO ("browser" search word now at #5) - talked to Irina about categories but doesn't seem like it would affect. can look into more though
Questions, Comments, FYI
- Christian: Thunderbird is planning to release on the same day (2011-08-16). The other option is a week later
- Christian: Pretty much every Android browser is in the "Communication" category. We're in the "Productivity" category. Is someone looking into if we're in the correct place 9perhaps as part of an overall SEO strategy? If not, should we?
- Growth rate for Aurora? (blizzard)
- Fx 3.6 & future stable release quick discussion (blizzard)
Actions this week
- Jen follow up on sync bustage in FF5