|Webmaker Tools and Content 2013 Roadmap|
|Owner: Brett Gaylor||Updated: 2014-01-6|
|Vision: Mozilla Webmaker provides tools, community and badges that help people move from using the web to making the web.|
- Iterate on what "Webmaker content" looks like. Measure how users react.
- starting point: "Webmaker lets you make content that's irresistibly hackable"
- Encourage "learning by making"
- lean into connected learning -- make our tools fun, easy and empowering
- measure learning through badges
- Create experiences that work in the spaces users already live online
- Frictionless sharing to Twitter, Tumblr + Facebook
- Facebook app
- Native mobile experiences
- Develop methods for external partnerships & developers to influence our codebase
- ability to fork our codebase and submit pull requests we can integrate
- ability to activate external libraries. eg, Processing.js
- Expose enough "code" (e.g., markup) for users to learn web mechanics if desired
- Make working open and agile both work
- "Train"-style releases. Ship new releases weekly.
- Focus on early wins. Help users make more things, more easily.
- Integrate with Product Marketing. To identify and build excitement about new content and features.
- Be metrics-driven. User-driven priorities and decision-making as we go, instead of spec'ing out and locking into an entire year's worth of features in advance.
- Creative content possibilities drive product priorities. We build tools that support creators -- instead of hoping creators will find uses for our tools.
- Think like a newsroom. React quickly.
- Enter and participate in popular culture.
focus: Engage users with usability improvements and iterations on remixable content
- Fix remixing flow
- Fix known Popcorn Maker UX fails:
- Event defaults (e.g., remove tedium of changing fonts)
- Fix weird escaped characters (a by-product of our security efforts)
- Allow users to specify an event duration (instead of just start and stop times)
- Fix layout of "tray." Make it resizable
- Position new events at mouse location
- Make new layers default to top layer
- Change background colour of canvas
- Extend default embed page to include meta-data like number of views.
- Improve how our content appears on social platforms
- Twitter cards (Thimble + Popcorn Maker)
- Include related videos and remixes in post-roll.
- Research requirements for a Popcorn Maker Facebook App. Initial version of our app working in FB.
- Tweak UX to fit in Facebook box size
- A "firehose" gallery of everything people are making with our tools, sortable by most recent and most viewed
- First iteration is an internal tool used to highlight and celebrate what users make
- Following iteration is public facing
- A "mentors" top level page on webmaker.org linking out to community resources
- Refresh voice and tone, celebrate press of Popcorn Maker and Thimble
- Embedding in Thimble
- Remix button in thimble
- Fix Thimble project creation
- html5 linting for projects we publish vs. full review
- Immediate creation and testing of content types within existing tool features
- Provide offerings for popular events (Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, April Fools)
- Help our users by building support.webmaker.org
- Let users submit their own webmaker projects
- Build a robust Facebook app
- Improve Thimble instruction layer
- Improve developer documentation to assist community members
- Remixing within embeds
focus: Enhance learning experience by layering in badges across infrastructure. Grow international audience by adding localization
- As Open Badges Infrastructure reaches 1.0, integrate badges into Popcorn Maker and webmaker.org
- Localize Thimble, Popcorn Maker and Webmaker.org
focus: launch major Uk and European campaign with O2 / Telefonica. Welcome new users from Summer Campaign.
- O2 "Hacking Popular Culture" content is launched
- Functionality to support campaign
- Improved Thimble instruction layer
- Ability to synchronize content captured on mobile
- Functionality to support campaign
- Summer campaign brings large amount of users/mentors
- Exposing HTML/markup in Popcorn Maker
focus: Let users seamless move between code and media editing by unifying Webmaker tools
- Mozilla Festival
- Full integration of Thimble / Popcorn Maker apps into unified Webmaker experience
- Build collaborative editing and revision history across tools (see demo here http://secretrobotron.tumblr.com/post/38324727650/webmaker-in-2013-collaborative-tools-popcorn-maker