|Use PFS2 as Plugin Finder data source|
|Status note||Needs input from webdev|
|Product manager||Kev Needham|
|Directly Responsible Individual||Kev Needham|
|QA lead||Mihai Morar|
|Product marketing lead||`|
|Additional members||Mike Morgan (webdev)|
Readiness of PFS2 webapp is a blocker to implementation. Risks include resource availability with WebDev, and results of testing. The back-end must be ready to go before a product change is made, so the web service is a blocker for this feature.
This feature should be re-considered as a P2 given the unknown state of PFS2.
Stage 1: Definition
1. Feature overview
Ensure PFS2 is ready for prime-time, and switch the pfs.datasource.url in Firefox (and update legacy URI, if possible) to use PFS2.
Goals: Provide identical service as current PFS, but use new infrastructure which facilitates management of listed plugins through the directory-driven back-end.
2. Users & use cases
- Performance and load testing of PFS2 application to ensure it is capable of meeting needs of Firefox users
- WebDev signoff of above
- Functional testing of PFS2 application
- QA Signoff of above
- Security review of PFS2 application
- Commit preference change to trunk and test
- Plugin Update Checking
- Plugin Updates
Stage 2: Design
5. Functional specification
No designs required. Project has been scoped at PFS2.
6. User experience design
Stage 3: Planning
7. Implementation plan
Quality Assurance review
- The current test plan/method is documented on the PFS wiki page, and requires updating for PFS2 to identify platforms, mime-types, and expected behaviours.
Stage 4: Development
The change to Firefox itself is relatively minor, and involves changing a single preference. The larger issues are on the back-end, where additional work may be required to ensure the service can meet demand, and stay responsive (see bugs bug 573775, bug 564803, and bug 564807, which outline some potential issues). Next steps require an assessment from WebDev on current state of PFS2, and what changes and/or development is required to bring it on-line.
The PFS Test Plan will need to be updated to identify test cases/scenarios.
- bug 573834 - Change PFS backend to use PFS2
- bug 573775 - Load test PFS2 API for Firefox 4 integration
- bug 564803 - Directory needs better caching with per-plugin invalidation
- bug 564807 - Optimize the directory's gnarly slow DB queries
Stage 5: Release
10. Landing criteria
Priority P2 Rank 999 Theme / Goal ` Roadmap Plugin Interactions Secondary roadmap ` Feature list Desktop Project ` Engineering team Desktop front-end
Team status notes
status notes Products ` ` Engineering ` ` Security sec-review-unnecessary bug 744966 Privacy ` ` Localization ` ` Accessibility ` ` Quality assurance ` ` User experience ` ` Product marketing ` ` Operations ` `