Firefox/Input/Standalone Feedback Button
|Provide a standalone feedback button|
|Status note||Patch Incoming|
|Product manager||Asa Dotzler|
|Directly Responsible Individual||Aakash Desai|
|Lead engineer||Jono Xia|
|QA lead||Vlad Ghetiu (irc: vladg)|
|Product marketing lead||`|
- The code in Test Pilot currently looks at every loaded URL to see whether or not it's an Input website where data is to be filled in. This may be a performance issue, so we should test its impact and replace it with something more efficient if needed.
- If the user has manually placed the Feedback button, should that preference override the channel setting? (I.e. the customization remains even if you switch channels?)
Stage 1: Definition
1. Feature overview
The Feedback button (which is currently added to the toolbar in the Firefox aurora/beta branches by the bundled Test Pilot add-on) will be moved into Firefox where it becomes part of the default Toolbar Customization panel.
It will need to be added to the toolbar by default on Nightly, Aurora and Beta builds. On Release builds it would not be added by default but the user could choose to add it through the Customization panel.
The button holds a drop-down menu containing two items, "Firefox made me happy because..." and "Firefox made me sad because...", both of which go to the Input website and pre-fill some fields.
|Firefox made me happy because...||http://input.mozilla.com/happy|
|Firefox made me sad because...||http://input.mozilla.com/sad|
Ride-Along The URL attached to the "Submit Feedback..." menu item in the Help Menu is hard-coded into the codebase, it'd be good to change it into a pref for testing purposes.
The following strings will need to be localized to something that's not unreasonably long in any language:
* "Firefox made me happy because..."
* "Firefox made me sad because..."
2. Users & use cases
- Users who wish to keep providing Input about Firefox through the feedback button should be able to do so even on the release channel with no bundled add-ons.
- The Test Pilot add-on should be independent of the Feedback button implementation (which allows Test Pilot to become a restartless add-on).
- Input's "/feedback" page should be referred as a pref
Instancing the "Feedback" button
Using the menu items
- Placing the feedback button onto the navigation toolbar by default across all channels/builds.
Landing Test Pilot as a patch onto mozilla-central.
Stage 2: Design
5. Functional specification
6. User experience design
Stage 3: Planning
7. Implementation plan
Quality Assurance review
TODO - Any and all test plans and strategies. Either inline or linked to.
Stage 4: Development
- bug 649156 - Add the feedback button to the customize toolbar palette
- Separate Feedback button code from Test Pilot add-on and turn it into a patch against mozilla-central (Jono Xia)
Stage 5: Release
10. Landing criteria
|Theme / Goal||`|
|Engineering team||Desktop front-end|
Team status notes