Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details - NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
- Vidyo Room: Warp Core
- Vidyo Guest URL
- 1 Actions from Last Week
- 2 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- 3 Feedback Summary
- 4 UX & User Research
- 5 Market Insights
- 6 Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- 7 Questions, Comments, FYI
- 8 Actions this week
Actions from Last Week
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- Product team working on defining all the "basecamp" requirements.
- Basecamp is a subset of the k9o work.
- Planning to have something ready to communicate in the next few days.
- Work on larger k9o goals proceeding.
- Triage 2x a week but looking at moving times for better participation. Announcement will go out on the list.
Release (12, 10esr, 3.6)
- Merge day may move one day earlier than ship date to decouple necessary work and meet our Aurora/Beta target ship by the end of the week. See dev.planning thread. This will not affect any release dates.
- FF13 beta 4 will be released on Friday
Bug 754133 - Set background of standalone images (the image itself, not the whole page) to white
- Fennec Native 14 beta 1 is now live on Google Play
- We expect our next beta of Fennec Native (released as early as 5/17) to be multi-locale with the same 13 localizations as XUL Fennec previously
- Day 1 Adoption
- Installs: 785,103 (+3.45% from yesterday)
- Active installs: 209,076 (+14.32%)
- Total Beta ADIs: 39,224 (+66.34%)
- ADIs on 14.0: 15,345 (39% of total ADIs)
- Beta is out! \o/
- Please remember you can have only 1 native sync per android device, so no you cannot have Aurora & Beta syncing at the same time. Read Why Here
Apps In the Cloud Server
- Regular deployment happening.
Release (1.7 -> Firefox 12, 13)
- Released SDK 1.7 yesterday
- mixed bouquet of new features and important bug fixes
- css-only page-mods, l10n pluralization goodness
- configurable contentURL property for panel and widget!
- many bug fixes
Stabilization (1.8 -> Firefox 13, 14)
- on-track for release Tuesday June 26th
- first beta release either today or tomorrow?
Development (1.9 -> Firefox 14, 15)
- Firefox 15 / memory leak issues mitigated by latest khuey patch
- still planning to spin up a campaign to get older extensions re-packed, because its the right thing to do
- more plannig for this will happen at the Addons work week, June 4.
- started landing 'Spring Cleaning' items yesterday, aiming to land loader in Firefox
- Focused on Basecamp
- Other work still proceeding, but some of it is pushed back: Persona beta moved to July. Should have no impact on other products.
- Firefox Desktop 14 (Aurora) - landed
- Looking to back out this functionality - bug 750936
- Native Install
- Chromeless launch of apps
- Mozillian Marketplace Release is out! Thanks for the feedback so far!
- Please be mindful that this is an internal release and of alpha quality. Early access is limited to Mozillians and partners for testing, so please do not tweet, communicate or share screenshots, features or details about the Marketplace for now.
- Download Firefox Desktop Nightly (Fx15)
- Have a look at the wiki to learn more about the testing procedure.
- If you run into any hiccups, you can report them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you’re done, there’s also an online survey for you to fill out.
- Firefox Desktop 15 (Nightly)
- Working on fixing bugs - mostly fit and polish to fit Kilimanjaro requirements
- Firefox Mobile 15 (Nightly) - in progress
- Work started in Fx14 continues in 15.
- The team is shoring up the bugs to be in better shape for K9o implementation.
- Proposed marketplace bundling with Fennec is an open issue. See bug 738545
- Apps in the Cloud
- AITC client continues
- AITC Server - Completed
Firefox 12 issues summary:
We currently have a 5% increase in issues over Firefox 11. This seems to be a combination of issues including:
Firefox 12 is slow - Thread was originally about a gfx card issue, but I think it turned into a pile on thread https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/926621  
Foxit Reader causing Hotmail issues: Solution is to rollback to an older version of Foxit. This combined with the Adobe Reader issue is sticky.  https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/926740  
PDF Issues on Mac - Reader update https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/775819   
Firefox 12 consumes too much memory - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/927004   
Copy/Paste Image - Fixed - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=749527  
Firefox 12 incorrectly caching pages - Bug filed - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=748647 
FF12 praise summary, down 6% from FF11:
- Top three dissatisfiers (startup speed, flash support, and memory consumption) are now fixed in Firefox for Android Beta!!
- Google Play reviews summary, 330 reviews of Beta in first 24 hours; our rating based on those reviews is a solid 4.0 stars. 160 5-star reviews already!
- Themes: fast, wow, flash, memory, smooth, scrolling, sexy, this is now my default browser
- "This is now the fastest, smoothest browser in AndroidLand."
- "I absolutely love FF Sync, uploaded to my phone in seconds."
- "Great Improvement I thought firefox will never support flash. It is the only reason that I didn't use as my default browser. At first look it's amazing. Definitely deserve five stars. And finally thanks for dev team for your hard work."
- "Beautiful This update is simply amazing! I am thoroughly impressed. Firefox just beat out dolphin for my go to mobile browsing."
UX & User Research
- [apps integration] awesomebar/apps integration concept sketching (Madhava)
- [android] Collating beta1 UX feedback etherpad here (Madhava)
- [android] Finishing tab menu designs for next version; finalizing designs for search suggest; widget; custom menu (Ian)
- [android] blog post on visual design (patryk)
- [metro] Incorporating feedback from last video sketch; preparing another one around interactions of basic browser usage (yuan)
- [B2G Firefox] (Larissa)
- v1 tabs interaction spec
- revising start page spec; starting on details of sharing and browser settings
- [sign-into-browser / ID integration] (Zhenshuo)
- [desktop] more ideas for preferences simplification (Zhenshuo)
Desktop / Platform
- After initially requiring users to pay hundreds of dollars to receive security fixes for vulnerabilities in Flash Professional, Illustrator, and other products, Adobe has relented and will now provide them for free
- A fairly significant security issue was found in Safari's handling of input in the URL bar; a fix is expected shortly
- Code recently landed that integrates all of a users' Google Web History with their Chrome browsing history
- Google posted a web developer introduction, with video to its Web Intents implementation
- Tab syncing across devices has now landed in the Chrome stable channel.
- The default extensions for Chrome have been updated to include Google Docs
- Microsoft posted a detailed summary, with video of how social sharing of links and other content from IE10 will work on Windows 8.
- Senate Judiciary Committee staffers plan to take a look at allegations that Microsoft has made it difficult for competing Web browsers to run on a certain version of Windows, an aide told a political blog
- A leaked version of the upcoming Preview Release of IE10 shows an improved score on html5test.com
- There are rumours that Opera will be porting its Opera Mobile browser to the upcoming Windows Phone platform
- Opera Mini was also released for the Samsung Bada platform
- CSS Variables are coming to WebKit
- The tab-size property is now supported, and work has begun on the Media Capture API
Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.
- Updated Android version distribution numbers are available
- Google's Motorola acquisition expected to be completed soon
- Android 5.0, code-named Jelly Bean, rumoured to be released in fall with multiple flagship devices
- Baidu to be releasing Yi-based devices
- 56.1% of smartphone shipments in Q1 featured Android
- Samsung confirmed as top mobile phone vendor by shipments in Q1
Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- Transition: Laura Forrest will be the new PMM for Desktop, with full transition by 6/18. Desktop is in excellent hands!
- In the meantime, Laura Mesa and Grace will continue leading through the next Desktop updates, including Aurora & Beta.
- Working through how this may/may not effect Beta and Aurora outbound.
- Otherwise, materials and blog posts on schedule for next update.
Questions, Comments, FYI
- myk: I keep hearing people talk about this thing called "Basecamp", and I'm pretending to be a volunteer contributor; where/when can I find out more information about it?
- Response: Basecamp details are being defined right now and the working team will send out an update on dev.planning by the end of next week. For any immediate questions, feel free to message me. (email@example.com)
Actions this week
- ally/jen to come back with an answer on how we feel about AitC as a blocker to the FF15 apps work
- matt/alex to figure out why our adobe blocklist didn't eliminate the reader bustage