Firefox/Planning/2012-10-17

From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
« previous week | index | next week »

Planning Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays - 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC
  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
  • irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)

Video/Teleconference Details - NEW

  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
  • Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
  • Vidyo Guest URL
REMEMBER
These notes are read by people who weren't able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

FORCETOC

Actions from Last Week

Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases

Basecamp

Firefox Desktop

Release (16, 10esr)

  • Things are looking good for a full unthrottle of FF16.0.1 before the end of the week

Beta (17)

  • FF17.0b2 will be released on Monday morning
  • CTP blocklist testing will continue with recent versions of Flash later in the week

Aurora (18)

  • Working through issues associated with the landing of DLBI & IonMonkey

Nightly (19)

Firefox Mobile

Release (16)

Beta (17)

  • Beta 2 will be released Friday

Aurora (18)

Nightly (19)

Firefox Metro

  • Project page has the basic info
  • We established a minimum set of features we think are needed to ship a compelling v1
  • Nightlies are available, built from elm branch. They will update.
  • Sam Foster starts working on Metro front-end team!

Services

Firefox Sync

  • Work is continuing on Firefox Account support for Android and Desktop, in conjunction with Identity team
  • Some reports of auth errors for certain users as of Firefox 15, we have fixes baking in Nightly.

Product Announcements

  • Initial version of server up and running
  • Client pieces are landing, and followups from review are happening

Firefox Health Report - Desktop Client

  • Greg Szorc (gps) is now working on this full time, targeting landing of as much as possible into Firefox 19. Once we have a full assessment of risk profile for what we'll land, we'll contemplate appropriate uplift requests.
  • Setting up meeting with UX to start real design work for the user-facing aspect of the Health Report

Add-on SDK

Release (1.10 -> Firefox 16, 17)

Stabilization (1.11 -> Firefox 17, 18)

Development (1.12 -> Firefox 18, 19)

  • prepping for 1.11 release in two weeks.
  • also prepping for an in-place re-pack of a few hundred add-ons once we ship 1.11
  • SDK layout changed landed on master - required for landing in Firefox.

Identity

Apps

Feedback Summary

Desktop

  • "Close other tabs" prompt bug 772319 - We did not see much on the SUMO forums ([1]) but there is a definite trend on Input [2].
  • XML Parsing Error - Spiked the day after the 16 launch. Has now completely dropped off [3]

Mobile

Please see The Mobile Notes for the full Details. Release is going well, bug 792928 is the biggest issue we are seeing for Release.

User Experience (design & research)

  • [desktop]
      • [misc]
        • about:net-internals Working with Valentin Gosu to style his summer intern work for inclusion in Firefox (see bug 783205) (Boriss)
      • [Australis] (zhenshuo, shorlander, madhava)
        • Figuring out our firstrun/updater experience for people updating to Australis from earlier versions of the UI - notes here (Zhenshuo)
        • Example of one direction: variant 1, variant 2 (Shorlander)
        • Supporting implementation
      • [dev tools]
      • [Social API] (Boriss)
        • Mocking up multi-provider options from sketches for next version
        • Sketching interactions for different social providers, how the API could work for their content & users
        • Filing remaining polish & performance bugs ahead of first release
      • [newtab2/hometab] (Boriss)
        • Incorporating last week's feedback into sketches, digitizing new versions
        • Iterating design document for new design (current version here)
        • Talking to Jetpack team about how we can evaluate new designs for efficiency & ease of use
  • [project SPF (security/privacy)] (larissa)
  • [webRTC] - Mocking up improvements to Permissions UI (Boriss)
  • [metro] (yuan)
  • [android] (ibarlow)
      • Ian out this week, but
      • things to look for in nighties -- bigger better tab thumbnails on about:home; smoother tab tray transitions
      • prototyping and evaluating better default content fonts and some promising adjustments to our menu
      • designing and prototyping some search suggestion improvements (Blake)
  • [Firefox on B2G/Gaia] (Larissa)
  • [Behavioral Segmentation Study] (Lindsay, Bill, Leo)
      • Planning and recruiting for the qualitative in-person interviews and diary studies are well underway.
      • Cori, Lindsay, and Bill will be in the field in Toronto, LA, and Charlotte, NC during the week of November 5, interviewing participants. We will be reaching out to people outside of UX to invite them to come observe the interviews.
      • The diary study will kick off the week of November 12. 2020QualBoard has been selected to help us run the study.
      • Planning for the larger scale Quantitative Study will begin this week. If you'd like to see a presentation on a similar Test Pilot study, Leo Yeykelis will be presenting on it in TenForward on Thursday, October 18 at 3PM PDT

Market insights from the Product Marketing Strategy Team

Marketing, Press & Public Reaction

Questions, Comments, FYI

  • Question: How is the B2G Dogfooding coming along?
    • Answer: Tony/Marcia (QA) are in the process of signing off on today's stable Unagi build (confirming that all dogfooding blockers are fixed) so we are on track to start flashing the dogfooding devices with this stable builds today. Henry (Desktop) has interns standing by and will start preparing shipments to SF/TO in the next day or two.

Actions this week

  • Juan to dig into broken XML parsing on netError.xhtml