Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details - NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
- Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
- Vidyo Guest URL
- 1 Actions from Last Week
- 2 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- 3 Feedback Summary
- 4 UX & User Research
- 5 Market Insights from the Product Marketing Strategy Team
- 6 Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- 7 Questions, Comments, FYI
- 8 Actions this week
Actions from Last Week
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- We Shipped FF21.0b4 last week
- Fx21.0b5 for Desktop was shipped on Monday due to build specific AMD Radeon top-crasher - bug 865701
- The avg crash-rate per 100 ADI was roughly doubled compared to earlier beta's which was a strong driver for shipping 21.0b5
- Fx21.0b6(our second last beta) went to build yesterday, planned to release before Friday
- Iteration #6 ended on April 30.
- Status report to be distributed on Friday May 3.
- Review and planning session for Iteration #7 is happening today.
- We have enough performance data to add Best Case (no later than) and Worst Case (no earlier than) scenarios to our release forecast.
- Product Manager conducted a major review of Story Backlog to adjust priority levels of feature stories.
- We Shipped Beta 4 to GP last week: https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/Fennec/21/Beta/5
- Qualifying Beta 5 is underway: https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/Fennec/21/Beta/5
- Ratings average a healthy 4.3 stars
- Record low crash rate still under 3 per 100 adu
- Uplifted: bug 850489 - Settings page background switches between blue and white on Nexus S and bug 863095 - Don't refresh AboutHomeContent in onResume()
- Also fixed for Fx22: bug 863490 - Unloading page with embedded YouTube Flash video logs "grabbing the JNIEnv from the wrong thread" errors
- We opted to also uplift a stability win: bug 847834 - java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.BrowserApp.onActivityResult(BrowserApp.java)
- Decision made: we are disabling Dynamic Toolbar for Fx22 and will work on getting it to a shippable state for hopefully Fx23. Great progress on fixes but it is too risky to uplift them this late in the cycle: bug 716403
- UI Hackathon last week, lot's of great fixes landed so check us out: ui-hackathon bugs during the sprint. Lucas has a wrap-up post that goes into more detail.
- L10n repack changesbug 792077 : We stopped packaging a whole ton of files as part of the multi-locale builds. If you see any regressions, please file a bug and CC :Pike.
- bug 858687 - BrowserToolbar's menu button is optional
- Nice A4A fix: bug 853456 - target=_blank doesn't work with <img> links
- We heard from a few folks on IRC about having issues with browsing on Nightly, this fix should take care of things so check the latest nightly and report any further problems you run into: bug 863803 - LayerView not shown after resuming from an OOM kill
Firefox Health Report
- Final Fx21 readiness/sign-off discussion today at FHR meeting
- Still working on the long-term roadmap
- Android version moving forward
- No update this week.
Desktop is quite stable. This week we are working on Firefox Sentiment Report 20. Should be available early next week.
- Beta Snippet survey went out.
- 4.1 star average
- No specific question so very little useful feedback
- Some interesting points:
- Possibly an issue with hanging
- "for the last few days it has been creating problems like whenever i open it and go from one tab to second tab it hangs and i have to shut down my computer to start it again."
- "Firefox does not respond when opening more than 50% of the time. Had to open and close it 5 times. At other times one restart fixes it. Also hangs when more than 6 tabs open. I even try with all other apps closed."
- "Also, when a website has a lot of content or I am loading many webpages at once the interface at the top (the part with the tabs etc.) goes Not Responding for a few seconds."
- New malware? Quite a few busted search/redirected pages/fake ad-links in content complaints.
- Possibly an issue with hanging
- Aurora snippet survey only has 50 responses, 4.2 stars but that's hazy.
- No mention of cookie-related issues but there's very little actual commentary, a few feature requests.
UX & User Research
Market Insights from the Product Marketing Strategy Team
- Intel has showed its support for the acquisition of US carrier Sprint by SoftBank, a Japanese network operator. The move comes as the Dish Network, a TV and satellite service provider, has also entered a bid. Sprint is the third largest US mobile broadband provider, with 12% of the market. SoftBank is one of the backers of Tizen.
- Samsung is preparing to launch a water- and dustproof version of the Galaxy S 4, which would be called the Galaxy S 4 Active. Similar are rumored to be in the plans for some of the tablet and of the Note line devices.
- Google has explicitly banned the update of apps through means outside of the Play Store, if they had been installed through it. This has been interpreted short - term to be a measure to affect the Facebook app, which had been doing so.
- Q1 smartphone shipment numbers are out. Samsung sold most devices (70.7 million), with 32.7% of the market, according to IDC. It is followed by Apple (37.4 million) with 17.3% and LG (10.3 million) with 4.8%. The last 3 in the top 5 are the Chine OEMs, Huawei and ZTE, with 4.6%, and 4.2%, respectively. In the overall phone segment, Samsung is also number 1, with 115 million and 27.5% of the market, followed by Nokia with 61.9 million and 14.8%. Apple is on 3rd place with 8.9% and LG is fourth with 3.7%.
- Opera released stats about its Indian user base: top domains visited are for social networking, search and cricket. 21% of the traffic is for Facebook, followed by Google at 5.8% and ESPNcricinfo at 1.7%. Almost 50% of the top 100 domains visited are related to news and information, search, price comparison and e-commerce. 9 out of the top 10 Android handsets used are from Samsung, followed by Sony and Micromax. Each of the top 10 Android devices cost less than 186 USD except the last one, the Galaxy S 2, which ranks last. The typical profile of an Opera Mini Android user in India is between 18 to 24 years old, lives in an urban area, attends college or works as a full-time employee and surfs the Web at least 1 hour every day. Opera is the top used mobile browser in India according to StatsCounter.
- Microsoft released an app and marketing campaign to entice users to switch from Android to Windows Phone. The app lets the user check whether her apps are available in the WP store and recommends similar ones if they are not.
Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
Another Badge Unlocked -- 15 Million Facebook Fans (Who Are Mostly Young Dudes)
- This week, Mozilla Firefox reached 15 million Facebook fans! Congrats to everyone who helped make this happen over the years
- The stronger we can make our "owned channels" like this, the more power we'll have to spread the word about our mission and products
Australis Onboarding -- Web to Chrome Interaction
- The UX, Web and Product teams are working on a in-product Australis onboarding experience with the aim to help users learn about the new design by interacting directly with it via the web
- What do I mean? Imagine hovering over a graphic on a web page and then seeing the Awesome Bar light up.
- This is a best practice in software since it's an extremely effective way to share product changes with users.
- See a rough concept in action here http://people.mozilla.com/~csonne/firstrunv2.mov
- Mozilla Firefox pulls ahead of Google as Chrome’s market share slips
- IE 10 doubles its share of desktop browser market
- IE10 doubles market share thanks to Windows 7 debut, pushing IE9 below 20% as Firefox gains and Chrome loses