Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details - NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
- Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
- Vidyo Guest URL
- 1 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases (Lukas/Sylvestre/Lawrence)
- 1.1 Firefox Desktop & Platform (Gavin/Chad/Martin)
- 1.2 Firefox Mobile (Mark/Brad/Jenn)
- 1.3 Developer Tools (Jeff/Rob/Dave)
- 2 Feedback Summary (Cheng/Tyler/Matt)
- 3 Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team (Kev)
- 4 Marketing, Press & Public Reaction (Arcadio)
- 5 Questions, Comments, FYI
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases (Lukas/Sylvestre/Lawrence)
- 30.0b8 ships today
- Final 30.0 Desktop Beta is going to build tomorrow (RC next Monday)
- Final 30.0 Mobile Beta is going to build next Monday
- Push to mirrors for FF30 will occur on Monday June 9th (day before release), release timing is for 8am Tues June 10th
Firefox Desktop & Platform (Gavin/Chad/Martin)
Firefox Mobile (Mark/Brad/Jenn)
Work In Progress
- Firefox Hub (998009, 1004850,1010986,942877,987869)
- Tabs related features (817716, 701725, 997288)
- Sync (775104,985504,891600,966105, 899643, 1003877, 1014150)
- Intent-driven distribution selection and download for partners (1013684, 1014242, 1014283)
- DB optimizations/fixes (1014988, 1006947)
- Other (1013024, 1013326, 1011059, 1012720, 1013478, 1014136, 1014233, 1014244)
You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]
- Favicons in URL bar are not fetched after changing an option in settings menu (Bug 968180)
- Regression: 'Share Image' shares link and not actual image (Bug 990642)
- Text selection keyboard shortcuts not working (Bug 993261)
- Regression: Sharing an image crashes the browser @ at org.mozilla.gecko.GeckoAppShell.downloadImageForIntent(GeckoAppShell.java:2690) (Bug 1009560)
- Disable zoom for find in page (Bug 1014708)
- Get rid of "Add panel" menu item in home settings (Bug 1009586)
- Add a "Remove" context menu item to top sites thumbnails on about:home (Bug 913457)
- No tooltip when long-pressing action bar's icons (Bug 943908)
- Make Fennec "Synced Tabs" tray display entry point to Firefox Account + Sync when user has no existing accounts (Bug 958889)
- Reading list icon persists when aborting page load and going back to about:home (Bug 972723)
- Number-only search queries don't work (Bug 993705)
- Support URI autocomplete on Swype (and other composition focused) keyboards (Bug 994472)
- "Switch to tab" does not work for Reading List entries (Bug 997049)
- Clicking Download icon is required in nightly, no error feedback (Bug 1001129)
- Can't attach a downloaded .doc file to bugzilla (Bug 1001851)
- WebApp update prompt looks scary - update icon (Bug 1007770)
- Default home panel indicator is broken in settings in Fx30 (Bug 1010268)
- System locale changes not correctly reflected in running Fennec activities (Bug 1011008)
- Duck Duck Go content gets shifted down on every resize (keyboard dismissal) (Bug 1014034)
- Duck Duck Go, artifacts remain on screen after resize (Bug 1014054)
- Gathering and synthesizing notes from Launcher / Lock Screen user studies (ibarlow, yuan)
- Onboarding strategy deck (yuan)
- Ongoing Search design spec work (antlam)
Developer Tools (Jeff/Rob/Dave)
Feedback Summary (Cheng/Tyler/Matt)
Watching Beta 8 closely to see if it fixes the Firefox process not closing on shutdown issue.
Gearing up for the "Update all the users" Hotfix, currently planned for June release. (Bug 928173)
Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team (Kev)
Microsoft released its Surface Pro 3 last week, further refining the power tablet offering and receiving mostly positive reviews for pretty much everything except the keyboard.
Why we should care: Microsoft's Surface product line continues to grow, and is generating around $1B/quarter in revenue in a market where tablet rev/sales are plateauing (and in some cases declining). The Surface Pro 3 is closer to a Windows laptop replacement than Android or iOS tablets, and adoption bears watching.
Google now requires extensions to be hosted on the Chrome Web Store to be installed. Google is framing this as protecting the user, and to help prevent third-party and/or submarine installs. Extensions not installed via the Web Store can/will be disabled until those extensions are hosted there.
Why we should care: Google's continuing to ratchet down access to its product via addons (specifically plugins and extensions) and what they can change in-product. The changes are advocated as user experience wins, and gives Google more control and influence over how their product is affected by other software/interests, similar to other Google products/services.
- Chrome 35 is out, which includes a number of security updates, improved dev tools, some ECMAScript 6 implementation, un-prefixed Shadow DOM and Web Audio API, and brings "Ok Google" and folders to ChromeOS. Interesting bit dev-side is the use of AddressSanitizer for bug detection.
- Apple also released a security update for Safari, and encouraged administrators of OS X networks to update expediently.
- Opera continues to acquire ad companies, continuing its focus on being a mobile ad platform that makes products that integrate nicely with it. This is old news, but still interesting in where Opera continues to invest.
- Google acquired Divide, a company that develops BYOD policy software. Continued investment in Enterprise space alongside Chromebooks and Android, and may also supplement Chrome x-platform as a BYOD client choice.
Google quietly Google has launched an updated mobile web version of the Play store, giving users the ability to use the web versus a native app. You can have a peek at https://play.google.com/store.
Why we should care: With the integration of Chrome in the launcher, this may be a way Google plans to better integrate Play content and hardware discovery and acquisition without the need of a dedicated app (and may also drive the underlying app itself).
- Interesting bit from Wired on how web technologies matter in the mobile Enterprise, and how there's not really anyone who's stepped up to build something specific for it.
- Samsung is going down-scale to compete with the Moto E.
- Google might be releasing Tango tablet prototypes at I/O. This is a rumor, and only a rumor, but it's from the WSJ.
- 1Password is coming out of Beta to Android next month, making it a fully x-platform password play.
- Google updates Plus on Android, sports a new (and familiar looking) UI and "Auto Awesome Stories" feature, to name a few.