Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details - NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
- Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
- Vidyo Guest URL
- Air Mozilla https://air.mozilla.org/product-coordination-meeting-20140709/
- 1 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases (Lukas/Sylvestre/Lawrence)
- 1.1 Firefox Desktop & Platform (Gavin/Chad/Martin)
- 1.2 Firefox Mobile (Mark/Brad/Jenn)
- 1.3 Developer Tools (Jeff/Rob/Dave)
- 2 Feedback Summary (Cheng/Tyler/Matt)
- 3 Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team (Kev)
- 4 Marketing, Press & Public Reaction (Arcadio)
- 5 Questions, Comments, FYI
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases (Lukas/Sylvestre/Lawrence)
Firefox Desktop & Platform (Gavin/Chad/Martin)
- Translations experiments continue, expanding to three test countries. After test, the translations experiment will be turned off.
- Generational Garbage Collection (GGC Bug 619558) is expected to be pulled from the upcoming beta and eventual release version of Firefox 31 due to instability. Should this occur it will be rescheduled for Firefox 32.
- First WebRTC communications feature lands, with some functionality and UI updates
- Improved organic search features to help users conduct web search via a search partner
- Basic screen sharing via WebRTC
- in product promotion experiments to help users take advantage of Fx features (like Accounts)
Firefox Mobile (Mark/Brad/Jenn)
Work In Progress
- WebRTC Screen Sharing support (and Tests bug 1018928)
- Multiple areas of (formerly Gonzales/now known as)Janus https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Janus
- Intent-driven distribution selection and download for partners (1013024)
- bug 1012720 Fix deleting prototype getters in Fennec code
- Tabs panel follow-ups (bug 1028705, bug 1023270,
- Integrating Search Activity into m-c bug 1021864
- bug 1014848 - Improve interactions for "toolbar" (activating/deactivating awesome bar)
- bug 1014335 - Make "Pull to Refresh" in Synced Tabs and Home Panels feel excellent.
You can find more on upcoming feature plans in the[roadmap]
- Regression: Unable to properly seek in a WEBM video (Bug 1023771)
- NullPointerException when accessing ActionBar (Bug 1030738)
- NullPointerExceptions in GeckoPreferences (Bug 1030743)
- Fix Yahoo search codes (Bug 1033000)
- crash in android.util.AndroidRuntimeException: Calling startActivity() from outside of an Activity context requires the FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK flag. Is this really what you want? at android.app.ContextImpl.startActivity(ContextImpl.java) (Bug 1034017)
- Video overlay cut off after panning (Bug 1017427)
- Regression: Unable to delete first character in address-bar value that has been auto-completed (Bug 1023303)
- Weird tiling behavior when scrolling on video thumbnails (Bug 1025562)
- Autocomplete issues with backspacing using ai.type keyboard (Bug 1026788)
App icon in the launcher is fuzzy (Bug 959379)
- Dynamic panel list view drawn only after scrolling (Bug 1010986)
- Three-dot menu and + button are redundant in tabs tray (Bug 1023270)
- Cleanup the "combined" bookmarks and history view (Bug 1024289)
- Do not use onFinishInflate in RemoteTabsPanel (Bug 1024778 )
- Last added pin to Top Sites Grid has the name grayed out (Bug 1025812)
- Flickering of views during transition on opening a New Private Tab when tab drawer open and on tab drawer open/close animation (Bug 1028710)
- Disable recent tabs panel in migration if all panels are disabled (Bug 1029046)
- Regression: Menu breaks on Firefox 29+ on tablets with hardware menu (Bug 1030113)
- crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException: Default panel in HomeConfig state is undefined at org.mozilla.gecko.home.HomeConfig$Editor.initFromState(HomeConfig.java) (Bug 1030141)
- Closed private tabs appears in recent tabs panel (Bug 1030757)
- Bookmarks panel is empty in guest mode (Bug 1030770)
- crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.home.TabMenuStripLayout.onPageSelected(TabMenuStripLayout.java) (Bug 1031363)
- Fix JNI pointers to use longs (Bug 1032460)
Developer Tools (Jeff/Rob/Dave)
- Automatically black box sources whose URL ends with ".min.js"
- tons of e10s and Promise-rejectification work ( e10s support is a P1 for Q3 )
- 42 bugs fixed
Feedback Summary (Cheng/Tyler/Matt)
31 beta Survey is going out shortly.
We are watching reports that some Indian ISPs are causing youtube is misbehave in Firefox. Some users say this is happening outside of India, so we are still investigating.
Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team (Kev)
Something to Think About
Google continues to improve its l10n efforts, releasing 13 new languages for Gmail and raising the total to 71, covering 94% of the internet population. They continue to add locales to its Search UI as well as Search results language, and have announced improvements to localization support in Google Now (some of which have since been delayed) and other products.
Why we should care: Localization of our products has always been a strong point, but Google (and others) continue to close the gap and extend language support in all of its products, including Android, Play, and its core services. We should continue to focus on l10n support, and look at where we can continue to innovate/tailor our experiences from a regional standpoint.
Worth a Read
- Ars tests Project Volta on Android L, finds significant battery life improvements. The original Google IO presentation on Project Volta is also worth a watch.
- Note: This is a looooong video. Vin Khosla talks to Brin and Page about a bunch of things, including Google's approach to staying viable. There's a quick overview in the article quoted, but the video is worth a background play.
- Ars on Win8 and IE market share flat-lining
- Google updated Hangouts. There was a "glitch" that has generated lots of discussion. Some areas still refer Firefox users to download Chrome vs. the plugin.
- Xiaomi enters the Indian market with a $250USD flagship phone. Xiaomi is quickly becoming a market leader in SE Asia and China, killing it in Q1.
- Some folks at xda developers ported the Jolla Launcher for Android Alpha so any device running 4.2 and above can give it a whirl.
- Facebook claims high use of App Links, announces that they're now integrated in FB mobile ads for apps as well.
- Kit Kat gains a little ground on Jelly Bean this month, and Froyo loses another tenth. Overview available here.
- Continued releases in India of low-cost Android phones (with pretty awful specs); for twice the price you get considerably more than twice the phone.