Firefox will deliver a rock solid browsing experience with world-beating customization and a first of its kind recommendation engine that gets you the content you want when you want it, whether at home or on the go.
The first major theme in support of this strategy is what we're calling "Foundational Browser." The work happening here will see Firefox match and beat the other browsers in terms of responsiveness, reliability, and overall user experience. Firefox will be the most complete and reliable browser available.
Second, Firefox will extend its lead in personalization and customization. This will happen across the browser and AMO and will include adding support for the WebExtension API, making it even easier for developers to create cross-platform extensions, and for users to discover and enable new extensions while ensuring they’re more secure.
And last but not least, Firefox will deliver the best of the web in a way that is more useful and navigable than on any other browser. With great new features like Activity Stream and Recommender, the Firefox Context Graph will deliver the right web page, always.
The second quarter will focus on security and stability with the release of a hardened E10S sandbox and our first release of E10S multiple content processes. Q2 will also see the release of our first 64-bit aware installer that helps users of Windows 64-bit systems get 64-bit Firefox. Finally, Web Extensions in Firefox will reach reasonable parity with Chrome.
The second half of 2017 will be focused on delivering to our release audience the first Context Graph feature, a test pilot validated Activity Stream replacing the home page. We will also be migrating 64-bit capable Windows users to 64-bit Firefox. Add-ons will see new theme support and an updated discovery and install process at AMO. Finally, we should see dramatic performance gains thanks to the components of the Quantum project.
- (Firefox 57) E10S enabled for all users
- (Firefox 57) Quantum components bring silky smooth browsing
- Reliability & Security
- (Firefox 55) Stub installer will become 64-bit aware
- (Firefox 56) Migrate existing 64-bit Windows users to 64-bit Firefox
- (Firefox 58) Support ships for USB HID U2F devices
- Feature Completeness, Parity, and Polish
- (Firefox 56) Firefox Screenshots
- (Firefox 56) Preferences reorganization
- (Firefox 57) Photon UI redesign
- Web Extension API and beyond
- (Firefox 55) Web Extension installation permissions
- (Firefox 56) Out of Process Web Extensions
- (Firefox 57) Deprecation of XUL extensions in favor of Web Extensions
- Activity Stream
- (Firefox 57) Activity Stream replaces New Tab Page