Firefox3/StatusMeetings/2007-01-31

From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 11:00am PST (19:00 UTC)
  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • 650-903-0800 x91 Conf# 217 (US/INTL)
  • 1-866-879-4799 (pin 369) Conf# 217 (US)
  • join irc.mozilla.org #granparadiso for backchannel

Agenda

  • Action items
  • Gecko 1.9 Alpha 2 Planning
  • Gecko 1.9 Roundtable
  • Firefox 3
  • Any other business

Gecko 1.9 Alpha 2 Status

  • Memory leak status
      • Linux only - graydon will check today (not Linux only --David Baron)
      • graydon/peterv/brendan working on it, at least 4 patches in the queue
  • jst uber security hardening patch status (bug 355766) (fixed)
      • needs extension testing, specifically those that use wrappedJSObject (AdBlock? Greasemonkey?)
      • side: would be useful to be able to "grep" through extension code on AMO, e.g. LXR for AMO
  • Tree closure on Monday 5th, release 1.9a2 on Wednesday 7th
      • Code freeze is Monday, but no big risky stuff
  • start on release notes

Gecko 1.9 Roundtable

  • Triage report
      • schrep to look into creating triage report page
        • what data people want?
  • bugzilla multi-state blocking flags need verification
      • schrep to create process-tools tracking bug
  • platform optimization flags review
  • XHR
  • littlecms security review in progress
      • working with author

Testing

  • work in progress reftest/unit test (rob)
      • should be close to being published
  • perf stuff (alice)
      • will be looking at testing Places with infrastructure
      • working on getting code checked in

Firefox 3

  • PRD discussion meetings in progress
  • Review/discuss the Gecko/Platform line items in the Detailed Feature List

Here are the relevant bits from the Detailed Feature List:

  • P1 - Improve printing support
      • P1 FR - Pages should break without dividing paragraphs
      • P1 FR - Print layout should look like rendered layout
      • P1 FR - Preview should look like print layout
      • P1 FR - Layout should be zoomed/cropped to fit desired page size
      • P1 NFR - Simplify the print preview dialog
      • P1 NFR - Printed material should match user expectations
  • P2 - Save web pages as PDF documents
  • P3 - Handling of back/forward with POST
      • P3 FR - Cache data from source of POST request
      • P3 FR - Return to cached data when going back/forward across POST requests
      • P3 NFR - Get rid of the "Do you want to resend the request?" dialog
  • P3 - Provide infrastructure for an extensible Web page archiving system
  • Px - TTS/Screenreader support
  • Px - Pass ACID 2 test
  • Px - Cairo mods for better, more native MacOS look and feel
  • Px - CSS 2.1
  • Px - Gecko 1.9 for standards support and room for performance improvements
  • Px - Layout mods (roc) for xxxx (?)
  • Px - Reflow branch for xxx (?)
  • Px - SVG/Canvas

Meeting notes

"NOTE" parts are the actual notes

  • P1 - Improve printing support
      • P1 FR - Pages should break without breaking lines
        • NOTE: Bug, pages break in the middle of a text line.
      • P1 FR - Print layout should look like rendered layout (BUGS - this also needs to be clarified and better defined)
        • NOTE: Figure out the actual use cases and possible test cases about how this is broken
      • P1 FR - Preview should look like print layout
        • NOTE: Stays the same, but should be moved to front end part of PRD
      • P1 FR - Layout should be zoomed/cropped to fit desired page size
        • NOTE: Stays the same, some bugs will be filed?
      • P1 NFR - Simplify the print preview dialog
        • NOTE: this is front-end stuff, move to a different part of the PRD
      • P1 NFR - Printed material should match user expectations
        • NOTE: this needs to be more clearly defined

Further notes:

  • Brendan: we need to work this from a bottom-up way, filing and working through bugs.
  • Vlad: Identify specific brokenness, file bugs, and fix.
  • Schrep: are there any majorly large bits that aren't just a bunch of bugs that need to be filed/fixed?
  • General discussion: UI discussion re: how to fix some of the UI ugliness -- this is being worked on - spec print preview
  • Mconnor: ETA on print preview mods? When's the gecko bit going to be done because front end stuff needs to change too? There are a bunch of hacks and mconnor wants some lead time for testing.
  • P2 - Save web pages as PDF documents STAYS
      • NOTE: Stays as-is. Already works on Mac; Linux has code in place already but no UI; Windows requires quite a bit of work because Cairo doesn't currently do the right thing. Cairo fixes needed. Vlad and Pav will investigate further.
  • P3 - Handling of back/forward with POST
      • P3 FR - Cache data from source of POST request
      • P3 FR - Return to cached data when going back/forward across POST requests
      • P3 NFR - Get rid of the "Do you want to resend the request?" dialog
      • NOTE: This is a long standing bug (need # from mconnor), turning into a strict implementation of "nostore"...this is an IE7 error-page parity issue. This should stay. Same priority? (Need to check.)
  • P3 - Provide infrastructure for an extensible Web page archiving system
      • NOTE: Support some encapsulation piece that allows us to save web pages as a single file...(What does Mac IE5 do?)...explore this
      • NOTE: Grab complete representation of page to a DB or disk, doesn't necessarily have to be MHTML. (Says Vlad) - something also associated with Jesse's bug. Get bug# from Brendan 230606
      • NOTE: Do we want this badly enough to assign someone to this for Fx3? Labs project?
      • NOTE: Explore how other browsers currently do this - ie5 mac, omniweb, etc.
      • NOTE: Needs to be resolved - FOLLOW UP REQUIRED
  • Px - TTS/Screenreader support
  • NOTE: Talk to aaron leventhal - what would this mean, do we already actually have this? FOLLOW UP REQUIRED
  • P1 - Pass ACID 2 test
      • NOTE: Failing to do this at this point is a regression. Regressions are bad. Leave as-is.
  • P2 - Better, more native MacOS look and feel & better interaction with web development techniques
      • P2 FR - Native form controls
      • NOTE: Leave as-is
  • Px - CSS 2.1
      • NOTE: Needs to be further examined/discussed by brendan, dbaron, roc? for next week's meeting. FOLLOW UP REQUIRED
  • Px - CSS 3 features
      • NOTE: Will be further investigated by dbaron/roc

Additional notes

Gecko stuff that requires input/investigation from other groups
  • zooming, will need UI
  • ADD: offline apps, this might require UI - this is happening and should be added to the PRD (see notes from brendan) - P1 FR

Any other business