Privacy/Features/Site-based data management UI/Meeting 19-Apr-2011
- 1 Meeting notes
- 2 Full configuration preferences screen (exceptions, blanket
- 3 Ability to change and view permissions for sites while browsing
- 4 * Pulling things out of Page Info dialog?
- 5 * Ones that have changed are what's important
- 6 * Blend in with account manager
- 7 * Site identity button, lucky charms
- 8 * Deferred to later - trickier (but fun) problem!
Two features wanted:
Full configuration preferences screen (exceptions, blanket
Ability to change and view permissions for sites while browsing
* Pulling things out of Page Info dialog?
* Ones that have changed are what's important
* Blend in with account manager
* Deferred to later - trickier (but fun) problem!
Site preferences interface
- iterate on the design from Mehdi's patch from bug 573176
- implement as in-content about page
- representing top-level domains and sub-domains
- determining title
- can use ssl certificate for proper title
- how to deal with domains like google.com/foo vs. google.com/bar
- correct messaging will be important
- start with configuration for "All Sites"
- study user perception of privacy
- users may freak out at in-content page
- Boriss: look at old designs
- Sid: update wiki page for design work
Generating list of sites:
- start by using places db
- limit query to get sites with high frencency
- we can use favicon service to get icons for these sites
- these sites have titles, but those can be weird for sites with dynamic titles (e.g. gmail unread counts)
- sites that already have preference exceptions (cookies, saved passwords, etc.)
- these preferences are stored separately for complete domains (e.g. google.com and www.google.com are different)
- these sites won't have titles
- have ability to add sites that aren't on the list
- you can currently do this in the cookies exceptions dialog (Privacy -> Use custom settings for history -> Exceptions...)
- "All sites" is kind of confusing if those are global preferences, which are overridden by exceptions for specific sites
- perhaps it should be separate from the site list
- above the search box
- different interface in the preferences box
- add-on installation
- pop-up blocking
- image loading
history and bookmarks
- Margaret: I don't think we should do this because there is no preference to modify. As much as it may be interesting to see, this pane is not the place for that.