|Date:||March 3rd, 2015|
|Time:||10:00 AM Pacific|
|How to Join|
|Teleconferencing:||Room 9 798|
|IRC:||#webdev on irc.mozilla.org|
Webdev Extravaganzas are open to the public and serve as a gathering point for anyone in the Mozilla community who is interested in web development and what Mozilla has been doing in it.
The meeting will be streamed and recorded on Air Mozilla: https://air.mozilla.org/webdev-extravaganza-march-2015/
A blog post summarizing this meeting is available at https://blog.mozilla.org/webdev/2015/03/09/webdev-extravaganza-march-6th/.
What did we ship this month? Alternatively, what didn't we ship to spare the world the horror?
- (pmac) Bedrock Static Media!
- Upgraded Python to 2.7 \o/
- Changed from old/busted MEDIA_URL to new/hot STATIC_URL stuff.
- We have (more plans) and are quite open to feedback and help.
- (peterbe) Contribute.json site now looks great on mobile
- Thank you contributor koddsson!
- (jgmize) masterfirefoxos.mozilla.org
- Input is updated to Django 1.7
- (erikrose) DXR action on the elasticsearch branch, not yet shipped (to spare the world)
- Python analysis by Osmose
- Image thumbnails by new_one
- New config system by yours truly
- (lonnen) https://games.mozilla.org
- GDC is upon us!
- private github -> heroku -> cloudfront
- (lonnen) https://self-repair.mozilla.org/
- github -> s3 -> cloudfront
Any updates with our libraries or with libraries we use? Anyone looking for help with a library they maintain?
- (ErikRose) Thanks to nudging by jezdez and groovecoder, django-tidings has a 1.0 release: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/django-tidings/.
- Support for Django 1.6 (and up?)
- No more rate limit on claim_watches() task
- Tox support for testing against multiple Django versions
- (ErikRose) https://github.com/keleshev/schema is cool. I've been hacking a bit on it.
- (ErikRose) Parsimonious is getting the ability to parse lists of pre-lexed tokens (in addition to strings): https://github.com/erikrose/parsimonious/pull/69.
- (ErikRose) peep 2.2 grew a download progress bar.
- (ErikRose) pyelasticsearch 1.1
- New bulk API, supporting all types of bulk operations (index, update, create, and delete). The design is decoupled in case you want to create your own chunkers or operation builders.
- Per-action error-handling for bulk. All errors raise exceptions--even individual failed operations--and the exceptions expose enough data to identify operations for retrying or reporting.
- An alternative byte-based ceiling for bulk indexing: great when you have the occasional very large document in your stream of small ones, making a 300-docs-and-send ceiling court timeouts
- (Osmose) Contribute.json pull requests are coming. BE READY
- Working off of the list in https://github.com/mozilla/webdev/blob/master/projects.json
- (pmac) there is a bug for adding contribute.json discovery to Firefox. mhoye is getting to work on an addon proof-of-concept.
New Hires / Interns / Volunteers / Contributors
Anyone new that we want to induct into the secret order? Paid, unpaid, contract, doesn't matter!
- (blisman) lismanb on Github, has been helping Bedrock out quite a bit of late. We've really benefited from the help! 3 bugs closed in a very short time. Thanks!
- (lguruprasad) lgp171188 on Github, has been working on Input for over 6 months now. He's landed over 25 commits and 25 pull requests. Numbers aside, he's done awesome work on fixing vagrant provisioning and the "new contributor" experience. Recently, he's been working on Heartbeat analysis views. Thank you!
- (lcamacho) 19 commits on airmozilla including docker+fig and selenium tests using django LiveServer
Anything else to talk about?
- (irc nick) Topic