WeeklyUpdates/2008-10-06

From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

« previous week | index | next week »

Meeting Details

  • 1:00pm Pacific time (20:00 UTC until November 2, 2008)
  • Mozilla HQ, 1st floor conference table
  • +1 650 903 0800 x91 Conf# 8600 (US/International)
  • +1 416 848 3114 x91 Conf# 8600 (Canada)
  • +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8600 (US Toll Free)
  • http://air.mozilla.com/ to watch and listen
  • join irc.mozilla.org #staffmeeting for backchannel

note: all participants are muted automatically; if you want to talk, press *1 to un-mute yourself

WeeklyUpdate Live

You can watch the weekly meetings live at Air Mozilla You can also view previous meetings from the "on-demand" button on the Air Mozilla player. Meetings will be posted for on-demand consumption shortly after the meeting conclusion.

Friends of the Tree Friends of the Tree

  • Tim Riley writes in, "Clint, the Gristmill/Mozmill team and I nominate Farhad as a Friend of the Tree. He's been testing out the new Mozmill UI automation tool beta and reporting issues on it since the moment it was released. He continues to supply us with great bugs, good information and works through each issue with the Mozmill team as we address the problems he finds. It's great to have such an avid betatester so early in the product's life."
  • Jeff Walden writes says, "I nominate whoever was responsible (IT?) for making the commit account/Web Tech blog account integration so seamless. I was able to make a post to the blog without having to talk to anyone to get it up there, just using an account name and password I already had set up. Thanks again for doing that!"

Please send FotT nominations to asa@mozilla.org. This is a great opportunity for the community to recognize those who go above and beyond, so please tell me when you see that happening. Thanks.

Development Updates

Branch work: Firefox 2.0.0.18 / 3.0.4

  • triage ongoing

Gecko 1.9.1

  • Beta 1 Freeze completed, all blocking 1.9.1+ P1s have been completed and the last one or two are being landed as we speak.
  • For beta 2 we're cranking through P2 bugs and identifying/fixing any regressions or other major bugs in the first beta.
  • Also, at this point, we should be focusing almost exclusively on blocking bugs rather than wanted bugs. The first beta was the platform feature freeze, so if there's blockers remaining, those have the highest priority.
  • Related good news: Looks like we're going to see good wins (Initial reports only, subject to change: approx 20%) on Dromaeo DOM tests due to hard work by Jason Orendorff and Peter Van der Beken who were in town to collaborate on DOM/JS->C++ performance improvements.
  • See freeze dates below in Firefox 3.1 section.
  • Interesting queries related to Gecko 1.9.1
  • 74 1.9.1 blockers.
  • 269 wanted bugs (also up) NOTE: Work on blockers, not wanted bugs, if you can!
      • 42 P1s. These are bugs we feel would really, really make a good release if we had a solid handful completed.
      • 57 P2s. These are medium complexity bugs/changes that are nice to have.
      • 47 P3s. The lowest priority bugs for this release. These are the ones that we will definitely take, but the others take priority.

Firefox 3.1

  • track progress of Beta 1 here
    • one last regression to hunt down
    • two or three final landings
    • expect to hand off to build tomorrow morning
    • expect to publish next week
  • work has begun on Beta 2
      • string freeze is Thursday, October 30th at 11:59pm
      • code freeze is Tuesday, November 4th at 11:59pm
      • front end beta 2 plan to be published for review & comment later tonight or tomorrow: private browsing, awesomebar improvements, plugin installation improvements

TB 3

  • Relabeled b1 to a3, because not enough user-changing stuff had landed
  • a3 currently in the release canal (build 3) - 28 locales!
  • thanks from the Tb folks to dbaron for fixing the moz-border-image bug, and to smichaud for fixing 426932.
  • expect more UI changes soon (tabs, search)
  • **we could really use some XUL/JS folks to help with UI work! **

Mobile

IT

  • Upcoming Maintenance
    • More Netscaler OS upgrades
    • kernel upgrades
    • mailman upgrades
    • phone system upgrades in all Mozilla offices
    • Final MySQL 4 -> 5 migration (Tuesday), will affect:
      • Bonsai
      • Despot
      • Graph Server
      • Litmus

Release Engineering

  • adding new slaves to mozilla-central; 3x win32, 2xlinux bug 458414
  • l10n nightly changes - for details see here and here and here.
    • hoping to stop producing l10n builds the "old" way on Wed night. bug 458153

QA

Firefox 3.0.x

  • Continuing to troubleshoot and track progress on the Norton update issue [tomcat]
  • Worked through wanted1.9.0.x? bugs [ss]

Firefox 3.1 [lead: tchung]

  • Beta1 Testplan Done. Awaiting builds, possibly Wednesday
  • Feature test development:
    • Video/Audio: About 50 test cases planned, not developed yet [calbert]
    • XHR-XSS: About 25 test cases planned, need to finish combing through the spec for the last test cases, approach and plan reviewed and ok'd [calbert]
    • Border-Radius -- test plan finished, about 10-20 tests, blocked by pixel rounding issues encountered when writing tests, working to resolve those [calbert]
    • CSS Transform Tests - finished, awaiting review [calbert]
    • Downloadable fonts - tests finished, awaiting final cleanup, review, and legal ok for fonts being used [calbert]
    • Ran Private Browsing Tryserver builds. Need an update build to test. [marcia]
    • Writing tests for SVG SMIL [w22]
    • Accessibility:
      • bug 456121-if brand.properties does not exist, or if brandShortName is not defined, nsApplicationAccessible::GetName returns no default value - was finished with a good testcase. Wonderful a11y patch contributed from a community member! Yay!
      • Testing Jaws 2 Betas

Test Dev- A lot of work to finish up code fro Gristmill/Mozmill Beta 2.

Mobile

  • Continuing to troubleshoot mochitests running on fennec on a N8xx [jmaher, ctalert]
  • Updated the Fennec Test Plan

Webdev Testing - AMO: Continued work on 4.0.2. SUMO: Verified 5 bugs. Graph Server: Verified 3 bugs [stephend]

Community

  • Held a Beta 1/Nightly Testday on Friday. It was a pretty slow test day. See results. [tomcat and others]
  • making final preparations for the Mozilla EU Camp on Oct 25-25 in Barcelona, Spain. QA is hosting a testing track. [marcia, ctalbert, martijn, tomcat]
  • Finished an article Marcoz started months ago for the "Display" bi-monthyl newspaper of the Interessengemeinschaft Sehgeschädigter Computerbenutzer e. V. (ISCB). It has a bit of history, the current status, and ways to get involved in testing, documentation, or development for interested parties. Using the Mozilla Firefox model as an example, the article talks about open-source projects in general. The article will be published in the November edition of "Display".

Security

Marketing/PR

PR

  • Coverage of Impact Mozilla marketing project
  • Quieter week in US due to press coverage of economy and upcoming election
  • Les Echos Enjeux feature, "Firefox renardrusé quifait son Web"
  • Mitchell and Joi Ito named BusinessWeek's top 25 most influential people on the Web

Events

  • MozCamp, Oct. 25 - 26, Barcelona, Spain
  • MexicoWeb 2.0, Nov. 3 - 4: First major event for Mozilla Mexico. Chris Hofmann and John Resig speaking.
  • FOSSCamp Dec. 5-6th, Mountain View, CA. It's organized by Ubuntu folks and they are looking for Mozilla participants.
  • Nonprofit Software Development Summit, Nov. 17 - 19, Oakland
  • Next events triage will be help on October 8th, 2008 at 10am PDT.

Impact Mozilla

  • The Challenge and its micro site launched last week: http://impactmozilla.com. We've received over 20+ submissions thus far!
  • We're currently advertising through universities, student groups, sfx, and the Fx start page.

Support

  • No updates

Metrics

  • No updates

Evangelism

  • Firefox 3.1 documentation work continues; DOM 3 text nodes, HTML 5 canvas text and shadows, and various other things are now documented.
  • Continuing to work with MindTouch to ensure that as many of our requests as possible are addressed in the next release of Deki.
  • Ajax Experience went well - various panels and talks were a success (a lot of people interested in Canvas this year).
  • Presentation Library is up and running, and we're fiddling around with various ways to make the presentation pages more dynamic through embedding S5 and other slide-media formats. Slideshare example. S5 example. Still need to clean up the "How to add your presentation page" but that should be done sometime this week. As always, questions should go to dria via IRC or email.

Mozilla Labs

  • Please welcome Toby Elliott who is joining Labs to work on Weave.
  • Geode add-on launch tomorrow (adds Wifi-based, W3C-style, accurate geolocation to the browser)
  • Ubiquity 0.1.2 to be launched this week.

Webdev, Add-ons, AMO

  • Austin King joins us today, he will be working on improving our crash reporting system front-end -- welcome Austin!
  • AMO
  • Socorro/crash reporting
    • Priority jobs are currently being delayed ~15 minutes, we are reworking filesystem partitioning to optimize this and reduce wait time
    • Austin will be working on fixing top crashers, adding queue status
  • Graphserver db and code update last week.
  • SUMO
    • SUMO 0.7 launched peacefully and sucessfully last week, including new customer satisfaction measurement, and email notification changes.
    • Began major triage effort for 0.7.x -> 0.8 releases

L10n

  • 36 locales participate in Firefox 3.1 Beta 1
  • 5 new languages are added to the build process for FF 3.0.x:
    • Bulgarian
    • Esperanto
    • Estonian
    • Occitan
    • Welsh

Please not that this does not mean we are not yet ready to ship 5 new languages in the next minor update, but we are close.

Foundation Updates

Highlights

Program activities

  • Education
      • Mark and Frank worked with Seneca to plan the FSOSS Teaching Open Source track and arrange a separate informal get-together for people participating in that track.
      • Mark, Frank, and Zak had a teleconference to scope simple research on who is doing what in open source education, to help in planning and making decisions about our own program efforts.
  • Grants
  • CAs
      • Frank drew up a proposed target schedule for taking pending requests into the public discussion phase, and put Microsec Ltd into public discussion per the above schedule.

Public communications and community outreach

  • Powered by Mozilla
      • David met with John Slater and Tara about the "Powered by Mozilla" landing page and design guide, and with Catherine Brady about "Powered by Mozilla" legal guidelines
      • David looked into getting the "Powered by Mozilla" logo in Firefox and Thunderbird
  • www.mozilla.org

Other

Upcoming activities

  • Mark will be in Mountain View for meetings (October 6-9).
  • Gerv will be representing the Mozilla Foundation at the mySociety fifth birthday event (October 14, London).
  • Mark and Frank will attend and participate in the FSOSS 2008 conference at Seneca College (October 23-24, Toronto).
  • Mark will attend EU Mozilla Camp (October 25-26, Barcelona).
  • We have a Mozilla Foundation staff retreat planned for late October (October 28-30, Mountain View).
  • Zak will deliver the opening keynote for the AFUP (French PHP User Group) Forum PHP conference (December 8, Paris)

Roundtable

  • Thread on m.governance about removing the Firefox community edition trademark license... will there be conclusions? In particular, will we freely grant specific licenses to people who are building custom versions such as x86-64 or custom optimization flags? (bsmedberg)

Other Business