- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 8600
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 8600
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 8600
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 8600
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 8600
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 8600
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 8600
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 8600
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 8600
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 8600
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- 1 All-hands Status Meeting Agenda
- 1.1 Friends of Mozilla
- 1.2 Upcoming Events
- 1.3 Project Status Updates (voice updates)
- 1.4 Speakers
- 2 Roundtable
- 3 Welcome!
- 4 <meta>
- 4.1 Status Updates By Team (non-voice updates)
All-hands Status Meeting Agenda
Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.
Najlepša hvala to Matjaž Horvat for contributing the Slovenian localization of the Firefox Activations Directory.
Kristján Oddsson for contributions to http://careers.mozilla.org/
Thanks to Kory Salsbury for flashing the Firefox OS phones for the Corozal Web Training Camp.
Thanks to everyone who's been contributing to App Localization efforts via our Transifex project, which has now logged 300 participants. Special shout-outs this week to the Bengali (Bangladesh), French and German translators who localized the official Firefox OS Notes app :
Richard Milewski for being in Portland last week and helping record the Air Mozilla videos for the Ascend Project final presentations. He set up a channel so they are easy to find, did a demo for the Ascenders on how they can edit/alter the existing video as well as submit new content, and he also came through when all the things broke down on Friday to still make sure our second set of presentations got recorded. THANK YOU!
Monday, 20 October
- Chris Heilmann's "Bringing social back to social media" TEDx talk is out, featuring stage vandalism and hedgehogs.
- Good practices in web development (french): Anthony Ricaud and Julien Wajsberg spoke during last week's Paris-Web conference.
- San Francisco, CA Oct 20-21
- Mozillians Josh Carpenter and Vlad Vukicevic speaking
Tuesday, 21 October
- Learn Python Week 1 - Interested in learning python, or learning more about python. We'll be using the free online version of "Python the Hard Way". See curtisk in #python for more details.
- [EDT; 12:00][PDT; 09:00][CEST;18:00][GMT; 16:00][NZDT; 05:00]
- 1:30PM - Alex Bardas, "TBD" MV
- Bi-weekly Marketplace community meeting is notes-only this week: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Marketplace/Community/Meetings. Check it out for updates on the new step-by-step guide on contributing Marketplace front-end code, and add your own!
- CampusLink Tijuana
- Tijuana, MEXICO Oct 21-22
- Odin Mojica speaking
- Campus Link is an initiative that began three years ago in Chihuahua, México; born with the purpose of gather people coming from diverse universities for a day full of activities related with technology and innovation.
Wednesday, 22 October
- GlazedCon in London, England - Chris Heilmann on a Panel about wearables
- MDN Community meeting at 10:00 PT, 17:00 UTC in #mdn
- Chicago, Portland, and San Francisco (@MozSF 1st floor)!
- 17:30-18:30 Writing Hour
- 18:30-19:30 IndieWeb discussions and hack night
Are you creating your own website? Indie reader? Personal publishing web app? Or some other digital magic-cloud proxy?
If so (or you want to!), come on by and join a gathering of people with like-minded interests. Bring your friends that want to start a personal web site. Exchange information, swap ideas, talk shop, help work on a project...
Thursday, 23 October
- Bug Bash on Firefox OS v2.1 Please join us by contributing as little as 15 minutes of your time.
- Discourse maintenance @ 2200 UTC (3p US/Pacific). Duration 10 minutes. See health.mozilla-community.org for more details.
- SAE Alumni Convention in Berlin, Germany - Chris Heilmann talking about "Don't be afraid of new tech in browsers"
- Learn Python Week 1 (session 2)- Interested in learning python, or learning more about python. We'll be using the free online version of "Python the Hard Way". See curtisk in #python for more details.
- [EDT; 16:00][PDT; 13:00][CEST; 22:00][GMT; 20:00][NZDT; 09:00]
- VR Brownbag! https://air.mozilla.org/virtual-reality-the-web-next-steps/
- 10:30am PT on Air Mozilla
- Reps Weekly Call at 15:00 UTC, status updates about Reps program, join us on vidyo or air mozilla.
- Soledad Penadés speaking about "Embracing failure" at ⌘R Conf in trendy hipster Shoreditch, London
- Free Software and Open Source Symposium (FSOSS)
- Toronto, Canada Oct 23-24
- Mozillians Regnard Raquedan, Mike Hoye, Mekki MacAulay, Kieran Sedgwick, David Humphrey, Tharshan Muthulingam are participating
- "Open Source means something different to everyone. At this year’s FSOSS we will be exploring the different ways in which open source is being used around the world to enhance various sectors of industry such as education, emerging hardware, and software. The two day event will engage educators, developers, and industry in a showcase of the different uses of open source and the different people who are a part of its ever expanding community."
Friday, 24 October
- Mozfest, duh
- ZTG Game Dev Convention
- October 24-26 in Poznan Poland, Andrzej Mazur speaking
- GameDev Convention is a side event of Poznan Game Arena, one of the biggest game expos in Europe and the biggest in this Arena. Over 45,000 visitors come to see the games and touch the gaming hardware from nearly 60 particpating expositors.
Saturday, 25 October
- Google Summer of Code
- Mountain View, CA
- Mozillian Andre Luiz Pontes Natal participating
- "Google Summer of Code is a global program that offers students stipends to write code for open source projects. We have worked with the open source community to identify and fund exciting projects for the upcoming summer." Andre is working on enabling Voice Input in Open Web / Firefox OS, more info can be found here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/SpeechRTC_-_Speech_enabling_the_open_web"
Sunday, 26 October
Project Status Updates (voice updates)
Speaker Location: Toronto (Johnath, to start with...)
- Humble Mozilla Bundle is live and amazing
- Thank you to the POODLE herders.
- Firefox 10th anniversary campaign update: MTV (Arcadio)
- Firefox 10th community update MTV (Jessica O)
Speaker Location: MTV - Asa Dotzler and Li Gong
- Firefox OS In The News:
- Zen Mobile's Firefox OS phone, which I mentioned last Monday as becoming available in India sometime in October for Rs. 1,999 (~$32) launched last Thursday and saw 15,000 orders in the first 24 hours.
- Matchstick, the HDMI casting device on Kickstarter, has nearly 15,000 backers and almost 4x their initial funding target, and they've still got more than a week to go. Recent reports suggest that it will have an ad-hoc mode, something that will differentiate it from Chromecast.
- Flame Updates:
- Many of us have been experiencing significant regressions with the latest Flame base image (v180) and so we've got a new one on the way. We'll announce the availability of the new base image in dev.b2g and dev.gaia *and* on the new low-volume, Flame News list.
- Flames have been in critically short supply but I've got an order coming in real soon now. If a reference phone is something you need to do your job and you don't have one yet, please email me and let me know.
- Flame retail sales will wrap up in about 5 weeks. If you're planning on purchasing a Flame, you'll want to move on that soon.
- Firefox OS Development:
- Over the previous week, 91 Firefox OS contributors landed approximately 200 patches.
- Firefox OS saw patches from two first-time contributors this week.
- Mitchell Van Der Hoeff had his fix for Gaia Cost control accessibility Bug 1069599 - Usage: Settings screen: sub-headers should be level 2.
- And the second new contributor patch comes to us from the star of the recent Taiwan New Hire video hit sensation, Sean Lee. Sean landed a fix for Gaia Contacts bug Bug 1078978 - When the user searches for a contact that is already selected for exporting, the checkbox next to the contact name should be checked.
- Ultra-affordable Firefox OS phone update - Li Gong
Speaker Location: NYC: Sean Bohan
- Final fixes to Tiles in Firefox are being uplifted
- Tiles delivery service is being load tested in prep for release
- Setting out testing plan for geolocation based delivery of Tiles
- User Personalization (UP)
- Firefox Interest Dashboard slated for release on AMO to coincide with Firefox Anniversary celebration.
- It will be available for everyone to 1) view their interest history visualizations and categorizations and 2) discover new content related to their interests.
Speaker Location: miketaylr (vidyo)
- 1024807 landed, which gives a "Report Site Issue" menu to Firefox for Android Nightly users (to file bugs on webcompat.com)
- Week of Oct. 7th summary
- Week of Oct. 14th summary
- Beginning planning of Webcompat Summit (to happen in Q1 2015)
mjeffries, San Francisco
SSL Configuration Update
Moz IT / Web Operations will be making SSL/TLS changes to the majority of websites / web apps hosted by Mozilla IT tomorrow at noon Pacific time. Check your email for more details. If you have any concerns about a site you own, please let us know beforehand so we can make any needed adjustments.
Single Sign On (SSO) Update
IT’s Single Sign On (SSO) effort, where we provide you the benefit of using your LDAP credentials to log into 30 different Mozilla SaaS applications, has reached it’s first milestone. At present, here are the Mozilla cloud applications that support SSO:
Other cloud applications that are scheduled to move to SSO include:
IT will provide updates as more applications become available. We plan on migrating applications to SSO on a weekly basis.
SSO Mini FAQ
As we deliver this service to more users, there have been some questions that have come up. here are some of the most common, as well as resources you can go to for more information :
Why are we doing this?
By standardizing our cloud apps to use SSO, we begin to streamline the account lifecycle management process - reducing our security exposure, creating better operational efficiencies while simplifying the user experience
Am I handing my LDAP info to a third party (Okta)?
Your LDAP information is provided to an IDP server (Okta) within Mozilla’s trusted boundary - it does not go to the open web A SAML assertion (with no LDAP info) is the only thing that goes to the open web to talk to the cloud application and authenticate you
When will we be done?
We plan on completing the transition to SSO in a six month period that started in September 2014. Completion is scheduled for March 2015 with our known list of 30 apps. IT will provide updates as we go
Where can I go to get more information? Check out these links to learn more about SSO, federation, and how these tools work together to give you one less thing to worry about in your day-to-day at Mozilla: SSO Architecture: https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=40044646
And if you have a cloud app that you feel could benefit from SSO, drop a line to the SSO IT team at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to help!
The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It's like a lightning talk, but don't feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation. If you plan on showing a video, you need to contact the Air Mozilla team before the day of the meeting or you will be deferred to the next week.
|Who Are You?||What Do You Do?||What are you going to talk about?||Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space)||Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info)||Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen
Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we'll do our best to get you an answer.
Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!
Let's say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.
Introducing New Volunteers
Introducing New Hires